Saturday 19 April 2014

chapter 32 - my 40th

I wanted to write about my 40th for a number of reasons - not least because I was elated to be here to celebrate it. It was about as perfect as any weekend could ever be for me. 
Almost 3 years after diagnosis, and genuinely not believing I would be here to see it in, I reached 40years old on June 1st 2012. I thought it was worth a party of all parties. I decided that there was no better place to hold that party than in my mum and dads house in the mountains in Spain. I spoke to Jay, who I had shared so many parties with and decided we would have a joint celebration at my mums. We really hoped as many people could join us as possible but equally understood it was a pretty big ask. 
I can’t tell you how pleased we were as the numbers grew and grew - all of our very best friends bought a ticket and descended on Casa de Angeles. We all arrived on the Thursday night. Mum and Dad had prepared a very special spanish themed Tapas for us. We all sat outside under the stars eating and drinking. It was a gorgeous meal. I couldn't have been happier with my family and friends all around. Between my mums house and all of our kind neighbours, every couple had a bed of their own -which was fortunate given there isn't a hotel for miles! 
I woke up on my birthday, with a sore head, and joined the gang for breakfast on the the terrace. The sun was shining. We all chilled around the pool, laughing. I was given some beautiful gifts. It was heavenly. in the evening, we had the official party. Mum had invited a few of her friends from the mountains. Two of the neighbours had made a Paella each for the party. Later in the evening, my parents surprised us with a show. They had hired some flamenco dancers who performed on the terrace, and we all had a dance. I danced with Indy and I felt about as happy as I have ever felt. A birthday cake for Jay and I was bought out and I simply took it all in. It was heaven. 
We spent the next day on the local beach, again just laughing and laughing. On the Sunday, we headed off to Nicki Beach in Peurto Banus, one of my favourite haunts for the climax of the weekend. A few podiums and a twisted ankle later, its fair to say - a good weekend was had!
Thank you from my heart to Mum, Dad, Paul, Keely P, Jay and Keeley, Tracy and Steve, Julie and Tim, Merille and Dean, Luke and Vicky, Steve and Claire, Joy and Andrew, Leeanne and GP, Tanya and Mark, Fran and Adam and Nancy for the best weekend of my life. 

And to anyone who is soon to hit the big 40 or 50 or 60 - embrace it, be thankful for it and love it xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment