Tuesday 4 March 2014

Chapter 22- Liverpool, I thank you

Paul and I casually agreed that whomever got a job first would determine whether we lived in London or Liverpool. Paul walked into his local on his return to the UK and was offered his old job back. So the short but next chapter of my life was determined. After spending a couple of weeks at home, I packed up again to move to Liverpool. I met Paul's family who helped us get everything we needed to set up in our first rented flat together, above a shop, in the heart of Liverpool. Despite having very little, we had a lot. We were very much in love and enjoying living together. Liverpool is a great city with great people. I have three very significant things to be grateful about from Liverpool:

1. My husband.

2. My career.

3. Straight hair.

I still didn't know whether to go to university or what I wanted to do. I did have an inherent ambition to be successful and have a career. I happened upon a temporary job working for a call centre in Aintree. The company was Camelot, The National Lottery. I was selling scratch cards to retailers. It was mind numbing and long days but it was a big open door to a career in head office. I persevered, made an impression and kept a close eye on the internal opportunities that cropped up.

I will never forget the day, I went for a haircut and remember the stylist asking whether I would like my hair blow dried straight or curly. I couldn't believe that straight hair was an option with my mad curls. When I say I felt like a new woman leaving that salon, I mean every word. Paul didn't even recognise me.

After a couple of interviews, I landed my first proper job as a Marketing Assistant for Camelot in
Watford. Ten months after arriving in Liverpool, we were packing up to move south again. Paul was happy to embark on this new adventure. We found a little flat in Watford, close to where Tracey and Steve lived, and unpacked. X



No comments:

Post a Comment