Friday 7 March 2014

chapter 24 - letters from my friends

Julie x 

This morning I heard Girls Just Wanna Have Fun on the radio and that's what inspired me to start. Natalie and I watched that film so many times when we were kids,  we so wanted to be those dancers and that's where our friendship cemented. We loved dancing, acting and singing although for both of us, the singing is best kept to the confines of the car!

Another thing we share is we are both emotional sorts and would often cry at Lassie, Kids from Fame, the list goes on so when I found out about Natalies's cancer, I was so scared for her and dare I say, scared of Natalie too. But Why? You see I felt our jobs as friends were to take her away from the bad stuff, albeit impossible and show her a bloody good night out. No questions about how are you feeling? What's happening at this stage of your treatment? Because those big brown eyes would fill up and ruin her night and bring it back to her again. So I was scared of making Natalie cry, she had every waking hour to dwell and we, the girls, had to make her laugh and let her escape for a while.

Keeley, Mireille and I had an understanding that whenever we found out how Natalie was, we would keep each informed as we were frightened to bombard her with questions on texts.  Often Jay would call Paul for an update. I can't tell you how many times I composed a text, back button, type, delete, oh Christ I don't know what to write. I even rang her bestie, Tracey, to say I want her to know I'm thinking of her and are you texting everyday and what do I say, Help! What if I keep texting her and she is doing something nice with Paul or Indyana and I jog her mind again. Please know that I didn't stop thinking and worrying about you Natalie. 

Natalie knows me inside out and everything about me. Natalie and Paul were an amazing support to my family and I during a difficult period in our lives. I wished I could have been Natalie's rock but then I think she was completely unselfish and saved me and other friends from her raw emotion and it is only now as I read the blog that I try and understand her diagnosis, treatment and what she actually went through. It's painful to read, particularly Doreen's diary, so I love the funny bits and there are plenty!

So ending my story on a happier note, the Girls, Keeley, Mireille, Rhonda, Sam, Leeanne, Claire etc hit Nikki Beach, Marbella 5 months after Natalie's treatment ended. Natalie's hair was growing and she would usually wear a wig out in the evenings, she had one for every dress! This particular day she had Cheryl in her bag and the vodka had been flowing when she whipped it out and put it on, the party tricks started and she would move it backwards when people spoke to her, whip it off again. Finally, Cheryl ended up in Leeanne's bikini bottoms and it wasn't a tidy bush. Leeanne laid on the sunbed with Cheryl sprouting in every direction, hilarious! Off to the apartment and we all tried every wig on and looked crap in every one of them, proving that The Queen of Style carried them all off to a tee!

So proud of you mate and love ya lots xxx

Jay x


I was having a lovely day at home when I got the call from Natalie. We was waiting and hoping that the test results would just come back and say all clear. I mean this can’t happen to my mate, a sister to me. Then I got the call. I couldn’t believe it. I broke down. Not Natalie, she’s too good for this. she has a future she has a career she has Indy…..

What can I say about Natalie, I love her.  She was my ‘best man’ at our wedding.  We have grown up together, I used to ride my chopper round to her house and hang out when I was a kid. I used to tease her all  the time, especially about her mum, my first crush, I don’t think MILF was invented then!!! probably shouldn’t write this now as I’ll get a clip round the ear from Brian and Doreen next time I see them..J

So many stories I remember, Birthday parties, holidays, nights out, letters/calls from abroad. House parties (especially Brian’s 40th !!!), sleep overs, walking to school. Walking the girls home from nights out.  Too long to list but great times.

It’s not all sweetness though she makes me so annoyed sometimes. Stubborn as a mule. How Paul puts up with her sometimes is beyond me. The man needs a medal or at least some more boys nights out with me!!!

And now we have kids……the next generation of headaches, all taking after their mothers…which means I’ll end up being a taxi for this lot!  I Can’t wait J

We all go on with our own lives but there is always the thought in the back of my mind how she is. The last 4 years seem to of dragged to me, I mean I just want the 5 years to be up so she can say I did it against all the odds…..F*ck You Cancer! Bring on the next 20 years…..

I’m not very eloquent with words, all I can say is I Love you darling………

No comments:

Post a Comment