Sunday 30 March 2014

Chapter 29 - Introducing Indyana Bow Evans

Chapter 29 - Introducing Indyana
So, at the end of the summer 2006, I sadly decided that I should leave Camelot. I needed to get more experience in other companies in order for me to progress further up the career ladder. I left in August 2006. Simon Ward, offered me a position as a marketing consultant to all of his key retail customers. I gained some invaluable experience which just strengthened my CV endlessly. It was exactly the challenge I needed. I worked at Ethel Austin, B&Q, Halfords, Wilkinsons and Sainsburys over the next couple of years and learnt a huge amount. In fact, I was working at Sainsburys when I was diagnosed. I will always be grateful for the support I got from Rebecca Singleton, the Marketing Director there at the time. I barely knew her, and she send me a very lovely card and Jo Malone candle in the post. But more than that, she assured me the project I was working on could be done at my own pace and that I could work whenever I wanted. I continued to work during my treatment. It was my respite from my own mind! Working was my saviour. There are some very lovely people in this world, when times are tough. 
Just back to the summer of 2006. Paul and I, having been together, for 12 years, decided that we were sort of ready to try for a baby. Its fair to say that I have never been the maternal type. Having said that, I have always known that I wanted to have a daughter, oops a child, at some point in my life. My career had dominated for the last 10 years and now felt like the right time. It happened very quickly for us after having made the decision. I woke up one Sunday morning in December and knew instantly that I was pregnant. I don't know why, but I took myself off to Morrisons in Palmers green and did a pregnancy test in their toilets. It was negative? I was so sure I was pregnant, I drove to Asda in Southgate and did another more sophisticated test. Positive!  I drove back home to tell Paul.  There was a builder in our house and Paul was rabbiting away to him for what seemed like hours before he finally left. 
‘Paul, you are going to be a daddy!!!!’ Paul was so overjoyed. He would have started a family a long time before and was really over the moon. It was a fantastic day. My pregnancy was lovely really. I did suffer quite profusely from sickness, but that aside, it was a hugely happy time. Paul and I were so excited. I know this is terrible, but I really wanted a girl. Perhaps I subconsciously knew that I would only ever have 1 child and wanted a daughter. I asked the doctor to guess the sex at 9 weeks. He told me that if he had to guess, he couldn't see any male parts but it was early days. I had the sex confirmed at 13 weeks and again at 20 weeks. 
Keely and I were pregnant at the same time so she helped me with all the basic questions. I didn't attend any NCT groups or read any books. I figured this was something that would be lead by instinct and love. Keely had the gorgeous Cassius 3 weeks before. His cousin, Indyana Bow Evans was born on  30th May 2007 in Hampstead. She was born by caesarian section (of course) and weighed 6.7oz.  I bought her home on my 35th birthday on 1st June. (The same day my dear friends,Julie and Tim were getting hitched in Italy). Paul laughs to this day as I asked him to stop at the shops on the way home. I spotted Petit Bateau and jumped out the car. The caesarian wasn't getting in the way of shopping.
I am so very grateful that the stars lined up and we decided to have Indyana at this time. If I had left it another 2 years, all the treatment would have meant that I would never have been able to have a child. As every mum does, the love I felt for her from the second I was pregnant, let alone, gave birth to her is immeasurable. She is our whole world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment