Sunday 2 March 2014

Chapter 20 LA part 2


Chapter 20 LA part 2. 

So, I had been asked out on a date by this guy called Tony. One of Paul's friends, although I didn't know Paul at this point. Tony and I went out to the cinema. He was a lovely guy but not for me. I often bumped into him and his group of friends when out and about. They were all from Liverpool and all a bit mad, with the exception of one that was far more reserved and quiet. It was this one that caught my eye. After a few drinks one night, I cheekily told Tony, in complete school girl style, that I liked his mate Paul! 
Well I would like to tell you that this little admission was all Paul needed to pick up the phone straight away but it didn't quite work like that. Paul was shy, laidback to the point of horizontal and perhaps just not that interested! So, I worked on him a little bit more over the course of the coming weeks, a little flirt and a chat here and there, until he couldn't possibly resist anymore. 
Paul had gone to LA to see his friend and next door neighbours from home. Mark, Sandy and Kristen had all moved to LA some years before. Paul had grown up with them and after a bad day at work one day, booked himself a flight. 
Paul eventually asked me out on a date. We took it fairly slowly, although I think I knew from the very early days that Paul was the one. I knew because he was bloody hard work but I persevered. Anyone else and I wouldn't have bothered. Paul often wouldn't call me for days or would make plans and then forget about them. I suppose it was all part of his appeal.  Anyway, after dating for about 4 months, things changed. Paul asked me to spend Xmas day with him (or maybe I told him I would be) but anyway, it 
was a turning point. On this same Xmas day, he told me he had been offered a job in San Francisco and he would be leaving in a couple of days. This move ended up being the place where I would say we really fell in love. I would fly to him most weekends, sometimes on my own, other times with friends. And despite staying in an apartment with his six other workmates, we managed to have some real quality time getting to know each other. We were and are chalk and cheese but it worked. I got lucky as I had come upon a very decent, kind, strong and loving person who I would end up spending the rest of my life with.
I was now working in Pepes Bowling Alley as a waitress. I earned so much money in tips that I could afford to fly back and forth at a whim. It was carefree and happy days.  When Paul retuned from San Fran, I spent most of my time living with him at his shared home in Westchester. 
At the same time as meeting Paul, I met Claire, who was then dating Mark, Paul's good friend from home. Introducing Claire. She and I became very good friends and spent lots of amazing times together in LA. Given she pretty much lived in the house in Westchester too, we were also housemates much of the time. Claire lived in LA for many more years after we left so I didn't see her for a big chunk of life. It makes me happy that she is now in the UK, blissfully married to the lovely Steve with an adorable little girl, Lilliana. We are off skiing together in a couple of weeks. 
I also met Paul's older Sister in LA, Sue. Sue had come out to Paul in LA. She met Mick from Dublin, a really gorgeous fella, who I had already met out and about. I really liked Sue from the off but didn't really get to know her that well in LA. Sue and Mick and their fabulous three boys now live in Dublin. As does, Eddie, Paul's little brother and his kids. Indyana absolutely adores her mad Irish cousins. Between us all, we make sure we get back and forth a few times each year. They mean the absolute world to both Paul and I. 
Anyway, I will tell you more about Paul later but when he decided in the summer that he wanted to go home to his best friends wedding, there was no question of my returning with him, and it was good timing, We had both been away for 2 years and to be honest, I was feeling like my time was up. It was finally time to get in the real world. There was a small matter of getting a career that needed my attention. 
Tickets booked, Paul went to Liverpool and I to London whilst we worked out our next move.......

No comments:

Post a Comment