Thursday 13 February 2014

Chapter 4 - My Sister

We haven't yet met my sister, Keely. 2years and 1 month younger than me. We had a very typical relationship growing up. We were and are polar opposites. As children, this was evident. Me, the dancer, the actress. Keely- couldn't think of anything worse, especially when Miss McDowell, the Scottish dance teacher announced excitedly, ' Oh Ay- are you Natalie's sister?!'
Keely observed my mum and I's turbulent relationship wisely and played more safe than me growing up. She had a mop of curly blonde hair and won a baby beauty contest. I got Arsenal, the cat to console me. Keely who never wanted to act, never wanted to travel and was very happy with 1 or 2 good friends. She met her husband, Nick when 17years old and they have been together ever since. We fought a lot. I always taking the moral high ground. But we looked out for each other. We shared a bedroom for some years and she would let me twiddle her hair whilst sucking my thumb. I still do when I'm extra tired. I used to have a recurring nightmare about someone taking my sister in Pymmes Park, whilst I was looking after her. I remember waking up terrified and feeling very relieved when I realised it was a dream. We roller skated together and BMXd together and did normal sister stuff. I remember feeling genuinely hard done by when she moved into my bigger bedroom after I had been in Australia for 1 year. Keely has always worked, helping others. Sometimes children who had a tough upbringing and now adults with learning difficulties. She has always been really good at it and builds really great relationships with any of her clients. My sister doesn't stop talking. I mean, really doesn't stop talking. When you call Keely, you absolutely know the phone will be engaged. It's a proper bonus if it isn't. She hid her phone bills for years. And she knows everyone in the village. If we go for a coffee, we always end up getting chatting to someone else. We are so different like that. And now she has 3 chatting boys! She had Isaac her first son, when she was 26years old. Handsome boy number 1. Outgoing, popular with the boys and girls, sporty, head boy- she must be super proud of him. I love being an Aunty to Isaac.

Paul and I would take him on day trips all the time. I remember taking him to one of the big wildlife parks in Somerset and having a sleepover when he was 2years old. I remember him commenting on the beautiful sunset , at his age! I started getting closer to my sister when Isaac was born. As I said, we are so different. I love to party, long girls weekends away,career, travel and wine! Keely, teetotal, has always wanted to be a mum and pretty much dedicated her adult life to being a great one at that. I remember loving Isaac before I had even met him. I was living in Watford when he was born and I remember waiting nervously for the call all through the night. I think Isaac gave my sister and I a bond, a gorgeous little blue eyed blond boy. Next came Noah, 3 years on. Another cutie. So different to Isaac. Isaac was chilled, a little day dreamer. Noah was walking at 9 months and much more feisty. He is a cracking little lad. So affectionate, a fab footballer and funny as you like. Finally, along came Cass, 4 years later. The boy of all boys. Give hum a hammer and a sword, and then run! I remember discovering I was pregnant, soon after Keely fell with Cass. I announced to Keely and Nick, your boys are going to have a little cousin. They both looked very confused. Natalie - pregnant!? It was great being pregnant at the same time as my sister. I certainly didn't need any books to tell me what to expect or do. I had my very own personal tour guide, and boy,did I need it! Indyana and Cass were born 3 weeks apart. Sadly, this means I have never really had the same 121 relationship that I had with Isaac and Noah, but Indy and Cass are thick as thieves. More on their funny little relationship later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment