Saturday 15 February 2014

Chapter 9- The College Years


I decided to do a Performing Arts course at East Herts College. This allowed me to do 2 A Levels, English Literature and Theatre Studies, whilst also doing a LAMBDA acting diploma. This sounds pretty lame compared to what kids do these days, but it felt good back then. I think I was the only one of our group who went onto do further education. 
It was an amazing two years. I met a great group of girls: Sian, Louisa, Francine and Sally Brown. And guess who else was on the course? Paul Bettany - a Hollywood actor who has been in some major movies. Google him. 
I loved the drama and the dancing but quite often skipped singing. I was so far from blessed when God was giving out the vocal chords. I have never bunked a lesson in my life except singing and I only did it for the sake of my fellow students. And sadly, I think my daughter has inherited the same lack of talent. 
The course was run by the very wonderful Miss Tillaney. I have to describe her. Even back then, 25years ago, I thought she was in her 70's. Looking back, she might have been late 50's. She was about 5ft 1 at a push, and pear shaped. She always looked immaculately proper - a tweed a-line skirt, beige stockings and sensible shoes. She wore really thick really orange foundation and spectacles. I can picture her so clearly. She was very strict. Absolutely no nonsense. 
Francine and I lived in North London as did Miss Tillaney. We weren't old enough to drive yet and the journey to college was 2 long buses. It took commitment. Now, Miss Tillaney lived close by and offered us a ride on one simple condition. If we were not at the exact spot at exactly 8am, she would not wait. Oh, the days Fran and I sprinted to the spot a mere second late and watched her pull away at the traffic lights. Fair play to her. And I cannot forget her poodle who she idolised. I suspect it had always been just
her and her poodle. She would talk about him on many of the journeys. One day, she
shared with us the news that poodle only had one 'bollock.' Well, that just set us off. We were crying with laughter. Fran and I always giggled together. She was and still is one of the funniest girls I have ever met. She, too, has experienced devastation. Her beloved Simon, whom I introduced her to in L.A.was sadly taken from us a a tender age in a motorbike accident. We miss you Simon.


We met a group of lads who we hung out with. The Cuffley boys. Rich parents and a bit cool for school. We became really good friends with a couple of them. I remember listening to Barbara Streisand and The Carpenters cassettes in my yellow beetle. Yes, I passed my test at 17years of course, 2nd time though. I loved that beetle despite it being a rust machine. If it was Indy driving it, I would be terrified. Dad rescued me on so many occasions. It used to beep on its own as I went round a roundabout. If I went faster than 30 mph, the back windows would fall down. Imagine how cold I was. Despite this, it was my first car and I loved it. I had saved up for it - £700. My pride and joy.

It was this bunch of girls who we went on our first ever girls holiday with. And another girl, Dawn Charles, who we met through the crowd at college. More on her later.  Lanzarote. We stayed at my Nanny Joan's villa. We had such a funny time. Louise fell in love and then discovered he had cheated on her all in the space of a few days. He was playing them both.  She went on to stalk the girl, befriend her and then hatch an elaborate plan. One of them arranged to meet him and the other would be in the same place, unbeknown to him. Oh the drama! Sian met Steve. She is still married to him now, 25 years later and with two girls. 

So, I'm still friends with Dawn, Sian and Fran. Those 2 years are entrenched in my heart forever. 

I got through college with many happy memories and some (average grade) A Levels and a diploma in Drama. Now what? 






No comments:

Post a Comment