Thursday 13 February 2014

Chapter 6 - School

So Indyana, what can I tell you about your mummy? I was a really good little girl. Honest. Mum and Dad told me I was really well behaved. I was a little bit shy when I was younger too, like you. I went to Hazelbury Junior School, in Edmonton. Along with Jason King, my oldest mate. Regan and Mikas daddy. I wasn't naturally bright but I tried really hard and always did well. I remember loving school mainly. I was best friends with Sheena Ranger. The girl with long blond hair that all the boys fancied. She was queen bee. The leader of our gang. I started Winchmore Hill secondary school, and loved it. It took me a couple of years to work out what I loved and who my friends were, and there the fun began. Let me introduce some of my friends. I want to start by saying I have been truly blessed when it comes to friends. I have at least a dozen genuine best friends. That's not common. Introducing Julie Smith, Smithy, now Ash. We were the brainy ones of the girls and in the top sets together. We were also both at Boden Drama School and loved dancing and acting. Ha- we were both prefects together. Julie says I scared the hell out of anyone daring to trespass in our corridor. Julie and I became firm buddies. We stayed back and forth at each others houses during school. She even lived with us for a small patch. Julie is one of my best friends and her, her hubby Tim and daughter Rafelle are part of our tight group.
Introducing Keeley Reagan. The prettiest girl in the school and one of the nicest people anyone will ever meet. Her mum and dad must have done something very right bringing her up. She is like a moral compass to us all. She has always been so lovely. I think the world of Keeley. Guess who she married? Her childhood sweetheart, my oldest friend Jay.
I met both these girls 5 years earlier at the ripe age of 8 years old in the park. Apparently, my sister and I asked them 'what you staring at!' Who would have known we would become lifelong friends.
I haven't introduced Jay properly. Jason King. School legend. And I'd know him since I was 4years at nursery. Jay is my oldest mate. We have been in and out of each others lives but always there. He really stepped up during my illness. Not just for me but for Paul, and that meant a lot to me. I will never forget that. More on him later.

Introducing Merille Noble. I bet I've spelt her name wrong. I always have. Now, the funny thing is, Merille and I didn't get close until the end of school. She will tell you the poppy story. Apparently, I had a poppy which I wore, and on each petal I wrote the names of my friends. Merille didn't get to have her name on a petal and I really hurt her feelings. I don't remember this at all but I believe her. I do remember feeling very jealous at one point when Julie and Merille got very close as Julie starting seeing Michael, Merilles brother. Anyhow, she is one of my great friends and always will be. Mummy to Summer J, who Indyana really looks up to.
More friends later.
So, school was amazing. I was in the 2nd year I think when I was cast in the school production of Gregory's Girl. I was the only one in my year picked as it was a 5th year production and I was SO proud. We all loved the school plays. It was a time where we had such fun together in rehearsals. Sam, Soraya, Keely, Julie - the girls! One year, it was Dracula Spectacular. I was cast as Draculas mum. It was a great part. I could act and dance but absolutely could not sing, but I still got great parts. Another year, random, it was 'The Thwarting of Baron Bolligrew'. Mr Whiting - what were you thinking???? I had the main part but even my mum and dad couldn't pretend they loved it. I remember, 'well it wasn't our favourite but you were great.' Mr Whiting was fab though. I wish I had taken note when he told me all those years ago to stop frowning. It would have saved me some money in later years. Then, we had the Boden performances - A tale of Two Cities and BMX freestyle. These were semi- professional really and in the west end.


In my last year at school, I had an audition for Grange Hill, the kids TV series. It was only for an 'extra' but I really wanted it. I remember the call - I was sooo excited. It was such a fun year. I got to have time off school and was tutored at the BBC. I queued in the canteen with Dot Cotton and Lou Beale- surreal. It was filmed in the same place as Easties. I became a mini celebrity at school. I remember some of the younger kids asking for my autograph. Funny. And I managed to get speaking parts in 4 episodes. I still remember every line and after a few wines, am often know to recite my scenes. I fancied the actor who played, Robbie, John Alford. He went on to much success in the series London Burning, before being arrested for drugs and his career crashed.
I also remember Miss McDowell thinking I was a good enough dancer to audition for a dance group in London. She choreographed a contemporary dance for me and took me to the audition one Saturday. When we got there, I think we both realised, this was well out of my league. But hey, I was there right? So I gave it my best shot. What am amazing teacher, giving youngsters like me self belief.
I left school with 8 GCSEs (A in Drama, 5 Bs and 2 Cs in the rest). I was pleased. Mum and Dad hadn't had to ask me to study once. It was something I wanted to do. I just had it in me. I think some kids do and some kids don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment